Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Tram Ride


Today, the tram traveled backwards
The pantograph rope swayed, like her
cat, Misha’s tail, when he walks on
nail, glass and moss covered walls.

She pressed my hand every time,
the bell rang. It startled her, just like
the worn out rope tied to the bell.
Or when Misha stepped on a nail.

‘Two round trip tickets’, she said.
Or so I remember. We untangled
our fingers, to reach for change.
My cold hands still longing for hers.  

‘There he is’, she exclaimed.
 Pointed at two dull red dots  
 and pulled the chafed rope. The bell 
resonated, while she faded in the fog.  

As the empty shining wooden seats,
old bell and cabin door rattled in cold.
I found two laundried, sun dried tickets
in a deep warm corner of my pocket. 


Photo Credits: © Gerard Stolk

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Now that I hardly travel outside the IIT campus, I truly miss finding hard ,mangled lumps of bus tickets in my pocket after ages.

      Delete
  2. Nice poem বিশ্বরুপ মুখার্জী্‌, visit my blog and find some selected poem. and request for your poem :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for dropping by. Its always a pleasure to meet distant fellow bloggers. You have a nice collection at your blog and I loved the name of your blog. 'Moon rain' is such a lovely and enigmatic expression.

      By, 'Request for your poem' if you want it to be indexed in your blog, please feel free to do so. It would be great if you can add a footnote with a link to this blog. Thanks and Visit again...

      Delete
  3. How is it that poetry flows out of unrequited love? I remember, if life burns well poetry is the ash! I see that you are writing more frequently these days and readership is flowing in too. Keep up the flow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have very limited first hand knowledge on this subject. Perhaps, poetry gives much needed closure to 'unrequited love'.

      Readership has definitely taken a turn northwards. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete