Friday, March 22, 2013

What if?


Would I have loved her just as much,
Had her hair been less than perfect,
that evening or had autumn arrived
a day late? 
Had the warm, halogen glow  
cast an odd shadow
on her freckled face?



Would I have tickled her cat’s scruff,
Had it not purred and rolled  
like my own or had I missed the  black patch
on his left eye?
Had her bed smelled
of suds and dead roses, would I
have bid goodbye?



that night. Would she have noticed me ‘walking-by’,
through the limpid reflections on the pane,
had the smog set in early or had I
lit a cigar?
Had the knot around my neck,  
with the fresh mustard stain revealed
a deeper scar?



Would she have locked the door behind
and left the welcome mat askew,
Had I crossed the dingy alley and leapt over
the fence?
Had I turned the knob clockwise,
She perhaps would have answered
in morbid silence.



Photo Credits:
AttributionShare Alike Some rights reserved by Daniel Dionne

  

2 comments:

  1. What if! Life is full of those moments, and you've got a picturesque array of a lot of them here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Usha. The idea was to make a coherent story with a muddled array of 'what ifs'.

      Delete