Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Walking a Dog


I wish I could, for once, walk like him,
in crooked and curved lines,
                                                           without purpose.


Smell the wet earth or perhaps
filthier things with my moist nose, 

                                                          without inhibitions.


Grimace and growl at adversaries,
men with phones walking them,
                                                          without malice.

  
Make shameless love, while men hang up calls -
embarrassed - hurriedly apologize,
                                                          without intent.


I wish I could, for once, walk like him,
naked, on all fours, in dirt,
                                                         without hesitation.  






6 comments:

  1. That is it :) I'm a fan!
    Have you read Pablo Neruda's "A Dog Has Died"?
    This gives me the same feeling... without the poignancy!
    I loved it. The form, and the feel :)
    Pssst... could you do away with the word verification string that comes with the post comments? It's very forbidding :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the mention of Neruda makes me feel honored. Thanks a lot. Yes, I have read "A dog has died". One of my favorites. How I wish I could write something as profoundly haunting as:

    "How many times have I envied his tail
    as we walked together on the shores of the sea"

    I wish I could love every dog with this self deprecation. Dogs and cats are a recurring theme in my poems. You might also like "The Sun-Soaked Sofa". Its about a cat I have back home in Kolkata.

    http://cosmicrevelations.blogspot.in/2012/04/sun-soaked-sofa.html

    By the way, the word verification will no longer come in the way of your comments. Thanks for bringing it to my notice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you again. I guess I should thank the Dog who accompanied me on that misty night from my lab to my hostel. He was my muse. :)

      Delete